Every year Samsung launches a new generation of its Galaxy S and Note series. In 2019 the company launched the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy Note 10 series. Now in 2020 the company will launch Galaxy S11 and Note 11 series. To power the Galaxy S11 series the company has launched the Exynos 990 chipset and Exynos 5123 5G Modem. It is a flagship chipset that will offer a flagship level performance. Now it has to be seen how the Exynos 990 performs against Kirin 980 chipset which is also a flagship chipset of Huawei. To know about it here we will compare Samsung Exynos 990 5G vs HiSilicon Kirin 980 chipsets.
We are not comparing the Exynos 990 with Kirin 990 chipset because we have already compared both chipsets in other post. The Kirin 980 is almost one year old chipset from Huawei. The comparison of Exynos 990 and Kirin 980 enables you to know in depth about Exynos 990 and Kirin 980 chipsets. Let’s know the difference between Exynos 990 and Kirin 980 Chipsets.
Exynos 990 vs Kirin 980 Comparison –
|Features||Samsung Exynos 990 5G||HiSilicon Kirin 980 5G|
2 x Exynos M5@?GHz
2 x Cortex-A76@?GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@?GHz
4 x Cortex-A76@2.66GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@1.80GHz
|GPU||ARM Mali-G77 MP11@?GHz||ARM Mali-G76@750MHz|
|Manufacturing Process||7nm EUV||7nm(TSMC)|
|Camera||Single - Up to 108MP|
Dual - Up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP
|Single - Up to 48MP
Dual - Up to 40MP + 24MP
|RAM||LPDDR5@2750MHz||16bit 4x LPDDR4X RAM
Up to 8GB@2133MHz
|Storage||UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1||UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1|
4K UHD (4096x2160);
120Hz refresh rate
|Modem||Exynos 5123 5G Modem||4G LTE|
|Download - 1.40Gbps (LTE Cat.21)
Upload - Up to 316Mbps(LTE Cat.18)
Samsung Exynos 990 5G
- CPU – Starting with Exynos 990, it has an eight-core CPU based on 64bit memory architecture that includes two 5th Gen Exynos M5 CPUs, 2 ARMs’s Cortex-A76 Big Cores and 4 Cortex-A55 Small Cores. All the CPUs runs with an unknown clock speed. The company has not shared any information about the clock speed of this chipset.
- GPU – Coming to the GPU department, here the Exynos 990 integrates an ARM Mali-G77 MP11 GPU which also works with an unknown speed.
- Manufacturing Process – Speaking of the manufacturing process of the newer Exynos 990, it if fabricated on the 7nm EUV process technology.
- Camera – Looking at the camera section, here it has the support for up to 108MP single camera and dual camera of up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP.
- RAM & Storage – In the case of RAM, the Exynos 990 got the support for LPDDR5 RAM running with a maximum clock speed of 2750MHz. And for storage it has support for storage types of UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1.
- Display – In the case of display, it can support 120Hz refresh rate WQUXGA (3840×2400) and 4K UHD (4096×2160) displays.
- AI – The Exynos 990 is a flagship chipset of new ganeration so it handles all the AI tasks smoothly. To handle all the AI tasks it features a dual-core NPU.
- Connectivity Features – Connectivity-wise the Exynos 990 got the support for 5G network. To support 5G it features an external Exynos 5123 5G Modem that can capture 5G Sub-6GHz(5.1Gbps), 5G mmWave(7.35Gbps), LTE Cat.24(3Gbps) of downloading speed and an uploading speed of 316Mbps using LTE Cat.20. It also integrates other connectivity features like Dual-band WiFi, VoWiFi, Dual 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, FM Radio, etc.
HiSilicon Kirin 980
- CPU – Now talking about the Kirin 980 chipset which also features an octa-core CPU based on 64bit memory architecture that includes 4 ARM’s Cortex-A76 Powerful Cores operating at up to 2.6GHz and 4 Cortex-A55 Little Cores clocked at 1.80GHz clock speed.
- GPU – For gaming and other graphical tasks, the Kirin 980 SoC integrates an ARM Mali-G76 which can operate at up to 750MHz clock speed.
- Manufacturing Process – The Kirin 980 chipset is built using TSMC’s 7nm process technology.
- Camera – Talking about camera & optics, here the Kirin 980 can support up to 48MP single camera and dual camera up to 40MP + 24MP.
- RAM & Storage – It has support for 16bit Quad-Channel LPDDR4X RAM up to 8GB clocked at 2133MHz and storage types of UFS 2.1 & UFS 3.0.
- Display – In the case of display, HiSilicon Kirin 980 can handle up to 4K UHD displays.
- AI – All the flagship chipsets feature a great AI performance but Huawei’s flagship chipsets bring better AI performance than other chipsets of another company. It is 1 year old chipset but it can easily compete with the Exynos 990 in the case of AI processing. The Kirin 980 also features a dual NPU and it was the world’s first chipset with a dual-core NPU. It also has great AI performance like the newer Exynos 990 5G chipset.
- Connectivity Features – Connectivity-wise the Kirin 980 fgot a 4G LTE Modem which uses LTE Cat.21 to provide a maximum downloading speed of 1.4Gbps and an uploading speed of up to 200Mbps using LTE Cat.18. It also includes other connectivity features such as Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth 5, NFC, GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS / BDS, etc.
- Compare MediaTek Helio G90T vs Kirin 980 Chipsets
- Samsung Exynos 990 vs Kirin 990 Comparison
- Compare Exynos 990 vs Exynos 980 Chipset
- Compare Exynos 9825 vs Kirin 980 Chipsets
- Watch Movies