Every year Huawei holds its IFA to announce its new gadgets. This year the company also held its IFA 2019 Berlin. In this event, the company announced its new flagship chipset HiSilicon Kirin 990. This is the company’s strongest and first chipset with 5G support. This chipset brings an integrated 5G modem as well as a boost in speed compared to its predecessor Kirin 980. This chipset brings many more improved and advanced features over its predecessor and its competitors. Here we are to tell you about the top features of HiSilicon Kirin 990 chipset. Read this post completely, here we will clear your doubts about this chipset.
HiSilicon Kirin 990 Top Features
- The first special feature of Kirin 980 is its network connectivity. It supports 5G technology and comes with a built-in 5G modem. It has increased speed than its predecessor Kirin 980. According to the company’s claims, it can offer a maximum download speed of 2.3Gbps and a maximum upload speed of 1.25Gbps.
- The Kirin 990 is built using the TSMC 7nm EUV+(Extreme Ultra Violet) Lithography. It is an upgrade over the 7nm process of the Kirin 980 and the Kirin 810. This SoC is optimized for the power efficiency over the Kirin 980 and the Kirin 810. It offers 12% better Big-Core efficiency, 35% Middle and 15% little core efficiency. This is is the world’s first SoC with over 10 billion transistors.
- The Kirin 990 has two variants – 5G and 4G. The Kirin 990 5G powered devices will be launched where the 5G network is available whereas the devices with its 4G variant will be launched where the 5G network is not launched until now like India.
- HiSilicon Kirin 990 is an octa-core chipset based on 64-bit architecture. It still features Cortex-A76 cores whereas Samsung is offering Cortex-A77 cores in its Exynos 980. The Kirin 990 uses 2 Cortex-A76 big cores clocked at 2.86GHz, 2 Cortex-A76 big cores clocked at 2.36GHz and 4 Cortex-A55 small cores operating at up to 1.95GHz. It outperforms the Snapdragon 855 by 10% in single-core tests and 9% in multi-core scenarios.
- For gaming and graphically-intensive tasks, it has the same Mali-G76 GPU as the Kirin 980. It brings 6 more cores over the Kirin 980, which means it has a total of 16 cores which makes it better than the Kirin 980. It also outperforms the Adreno 640 of Snapdragon 855 Plus by 6%.
- In the AI part, Huawei improves its every flagship chipset over its predecessor. The Kirin 990 features a quad-core NPU built on the new Da Vinci Architecture that improves performance and efficiency at the same time. The big cores of the Kirin 990 work for AI-demanding tasks and the little cores for not as intensive AI computation. In addition to its own AI platform, the NPU also works with the Tensorflow of Facebook and Android NN platforms of Google.
- The Kirin 990 has a 5th Gen. ISP which enables new DSLR-level noise reduction technology on the device. The company claims it is the first time on a smartphone.
- The Kirin 990 has support for LPDDR4X RAM clocked at 2133MHz and storage type of UFS3.0.
The Kirin 990 will power the Huawei Mate Series and P Series flagships as well as Honor affordable flagships smartphones. Those smartphones will be available from next year.
Read also :-