A brief time ago, Huawei unveiled its Kirin 990 5G SoC as the successor of last year’s Kirin 980 chipset. The newer Kirin 990 5G brings huge improvements over the Kirin 980 chipset. It features upgraded CPU, GPU, NPU, Manufacturing Process and many more features over the Kirin 980 chipset. Now Samsung also launched its Exynos 990 5G SoC to power flagship devices of 2020 such as Galaxy S11 series.
The Exynos 990 5G is an upgrade over Exynos 980 5G which was launched recently. The company has not yet launched any smartphone powered by Exynos 980 5G chipset. Both Exynos 990 5G and Kirin 990 5G have same name, stronger features and both are 5G chipsets so we decided to compare both of these chipsets. Comparing Samsung Exynos 990 vs HiSilicon Kirin 990 enables you to know in depth about both chipsets and the difference between Samsung Exynos 990 5G and HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G Chipsets. If you are excited to know about them then read this post till the end. Let’s know about them.
|Aspects||Samsung Exynos 990 5G||HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G|
|Manufacturing Process||7nm EUV||7nm EUV+(TSMC)|
2 x Exynos M5@?GHz
2 x Cortex-A76@?GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@?GHz
2 x Cortex-A76@2.86GHz
2 x Cortex-A76@2.36GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@1.95GHz
|GPU||ARM Mali-G77 MP11@?GHz||16 Core ARM Mali-G76|
|Camera||Single - Up to 108MP|
Dual - Up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP
|Single - Up to 64MP
Dual - Up to 40MP + 24MP
|RAM||LPDDR5 RAM@2750MHz||LPDDR4X RAM@2133MHz|
|Storage||UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1||UFS 2.1 & UFS 3.0|
|Display||120Hz refresh rate|
4K UHD (4096x2160)
|Up to 4K UHD|
|Modem||Exynos 5123 5G||5G|
|Download - Up to 2.55Gbps
Upload - Up to 1.28GHz
Exynos 990 vs Kirin 990 CPU and GPU
- Start with the CPU section of both Exynos 990 and Kirin 990. Both chipsets have Octa-Core CPU based on 64bit memory architecture. Speaking of Exynos 990 5G SoC, it contains 2 company’s 5th gen Exynos M5 cores, 2 ARM’s Cortex-A76 cores, and 4 Cortex-A55 cores. The clock speed of this chipset is unknown.
- On the other side, speaking of HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G SoC, it includes 2 ARM’s Cortex-A76 Cores operating at up to 2.86GHz, 2 Cortex-A76 Cores clocked at 2.36GHz and 4 Cortex-A55 Cores running with a maximum clock speed of 1.95GHz.
Here first two cores are better of Exynos 990 5G and the clock speed of all the cores of Exynos 990 is unknown so it is hard to declare winner. Apart from 2 custom CPUs, the CPU architecture is same of both chipsets so both chipsets will offer a great performance.
- Speaking of GPU, here the Exynos 990 5G integrates an ARM Mali-G77 MP11 which has an unknown clock speed.
- While on the other hand HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G incorporates a 16 Core ARM Mali-G76 GPU which also has an unknown clock speed.
Here in the case of GPU, the newer Samsung Exynos 990 5G has an upgraded GPU over the GPU of Kirin 990 5G. In terms of gaming and other graphical tasks, the Exynos 990 5G is a better chipset than Kirin 990 5G so it will offer a better and smooth gaming experience compared to the Kirin 990 5G chipset.
- Now compare the manufacturing process of both chipsets, here the Exynos 990 5G is based on the 7nm EUV process technology.
- While the Kirin 990 5G is fabricated on TSMC’s 7nm EUV+ process technology.
Here both chipsets are fabricated on the same manufacturing process because of which both are power efficient chipsets.
Exynos 990 vs Kirin 990 Other Features
- Talking about the camera section, the newer Exynos 990 5G got the support for single camera of up to 108MP and dual camera up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP.
- On the other side, the Kirin 990 5G supports up to 64MP single and dual camera up to 40MP + 24MP.
RAM & Storage
- The Exynos 990 5G supports LPDDR5 RAM at 2750MHz and storage types of UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1.
- Speaking of the Kirin 990 5G, it has support for LPDDR4X RAM clocked at 2133MHz and storage types of UFS 2.1 & UFS 3.0.
- The Kirin 990 5G can handle up to 4K UHD displays
- While the Exynos 990 5G can support WQUXGA (3840×2400), 4K UHD (4096×2160) of 120Hz refresh rate.
Exynos 990 vs Kirin 990 AI Capabilities
- For handling all the AI tasks, the Kirin 990 5G SoC got a Quad-Core NPU based on Da Vinci architecture
- While the Exynos 990 5G features a Dual-Core NPU.
Here the Kirin 990 5G has much better hardware to handling the AI tasks. So the the case of AI, HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G is a much better chipset compared to the Exynos 990 5G.
Exynos 990 vs Kirin 990 Connectivity Features
- Connectivity-wise both chipsets have support for 5G. Speaking of Exynos 990 5G, it has an integrated 5G Modem and it is capable of providing a maximum downloading speed of 2.55Gbps and an uploading speed of up to 1.28GHz.
- On the other side, Exynos 990 5G, it has Exynos 5123 5G Modem and it can provide a maximum downloading speed of 5.1Gbps using 5G Sub-6GHz, 7.35Gbps of downloading speed using 5G mmWave and an uploading speed of up to 3Gbps using LTE Cat.24.