Samsung has launched its Exynos 990 5G chipset to power upcoming Galaxy S11 series. With this chipset, the company also launched Exynos 5123 5G Modem and this chipset also comes with this modem. This chipset will support 5G and offer a great CPU and GPU performance. Now it has to be seen how the Exynos 990 stacks against Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset, to know about it here we will compare Samsung Exynos 990 vs Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus.
Comparing Exynos 990 vs Snapdragon 855 Plus enables you to know about features and specifications of Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus chipsets. If you also want to know the difference between the Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus chipsets then this comparison is for you. You should read it completely. Let’s compare them.
|Aspects||Samsung Exynos 990 5G||Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus|
2 x Exynos M5@?GHz
2 x Cortex-A76@?GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@?GHz
1 x Cortex-A76@2.84GHz
3 x Cortex-A76@2.42GHz
4 x Cortex-A55@1.80GHz
|GPU||ARM Mali-G77 MP11@?GHz||Adreno 640 GPU@700MHz|
|Manufacturing Process||7nm EUV||7nm|
|Camera||Single - Up to 108MP|
Dual - Up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP
|Dual - Up to 20MP@30fps(MFNR & ZSL)
Single - Up to 48MP@30fps(MFNR & ZSL)
Single - Up to 192MP(
|RAM||LPDDR5@2750MHz||Up to 16GB, 16bit 8x
|Storage||UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1||UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1|
|Display||120Hz refresh rate|
4K UHD (4096x2160)
|4K Ultra HD, HDR10+|
|Modem||Exynos 5123 5G||Snapdragon X24 LTE|
|Download - Up to 2Gbps(LTE Category 20)
Upload - Up to 316Mbps(LTE Category 13)
|AI||Dual NPU||Hexagon 690 Processor|
Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus CPU & GPU
- Starting the comparison with the newer Samsung Exynos 990 5G chipset, it features a 64bit Octa-Core CPU. The CPU of Exynos 990 includes 2 5th gen company’s Exynos M5 CPUs, 2 ARM’s Cortex-A76 Cores and 4 Cortex-A55 Cores. The clock speed of all of the CPUs is unknown, the copany has not shared any information about their clock speed.
- On the other hand, Snapdragon 855 Plus also has a 64bit Octa-Core CPU which is a Kryo 485 CPU. The Kryo 485 CPU of Snapdragon 855 Plus integrates 4 high-performance Kryo 485 Gold Cores which include 1 ARM’s Cortex-A76 Gold Cores clocked at 2.84GHz and 3 Cortex-A76 Gold Cores running with a maximum clock speed of 2.42GHz. While other 4 are high-efficiency Kryo 485 Silver Cores that have 4 Cortex-A55 Silver Cores that can operate at a maximum clock speed of 1.80GHz.
Here obviously first 2 Custom CPUs are better of Exynos 990 while the clock speed of other 6 Cores is unknown so it is dificult to declare the winner here. But the performance of both Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus is great.
- Coming to the GPU section, here the Exynos 990 5G incorporates an ARM’s Mali-G77 MP11 GPU which has also an unknown clock speed.
- While on the other side, Snapdragon 855 Plus integrates the Adreno 640 GPU with a clock speed of up to 700MHz.
The Mali-G77 MP11 is a new GPU which is not compared with the Adreno 640 GPU of Snapdragon 855 Plus until now. Both have a great performance. We will update it after their hands-on comparison.
- Comparing the manufacturing process of Exynos 990 5G and Snapdragon 855 Plus, the Exynos 990 is designed with 7nm EUV process technology while Snapdragon 855 Plus also uses the 7nm manufacturing process.
Here both are power-efficient chipsets.
Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus Other Features
- Moving to the camera department where the Exynos 990 5G got the support for up to 108MP single camera and dual camera up to 24.8MP + 24.8MP.
- On the other side, Snapdragon 855 Plus has support for dual camera up to 20MP at 30fps and single camera up to 48MP at 30fps. Both dual and single cameras include MFNR and ZSL. By compromising with MFNR and ZSL it is capable to handle up to 192MP single camera.
RAM & Storage
The Exynos 990 5G brings the support for LPDDR5 RAM operating at up to 2750MHz and storage types of UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1.
Whereas Snapdragon 855 Plus supports 16bit Octa-Channel, up to 16GB LPDDR4X RAM at 2133MHz and storage types of UFS 3.0 & UFS 2.1.
- In the case of display, Snapdragon 855 Plus has support for just 4K Ultra HD HDR10+ displays.
- While on the other side, Exynos 990 5G can support WQUXGA (3840×2400) and 4K UHD (4096×2160) 120Hz refresh rate displays.
Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus AI Capabilities
- For handling all the AI tasks Exynos 990 5G features a Dual-Core NPU.
- While on the other hand, Snapdragon 855 Plus has company’s Hexagon 690 Processor coupled with Hexagon Vector eXtensions, Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant and Qualcomm All-Ways Aware technology.
Here both chipsets have a great AI processing but we assume Exynos 990 5G to perform better in this case because of its Dual-Core NPU.
Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus Connectivity Features
- Connectivity-wise both Exynos 990 and Snapdragon 855 Plus are 5G chipsets. The Exynos 990 features an integrated 5G modem while with Snapdragon 855 Plus you have to use an external 5G modem. Speaking of Exynos 990 5G, it is capable of capturing a maximum downloading speed of 5.1Gbps using 5G Sub-6GHz, 7.35Gbps of downloading speed using 5G mmWave and an uploading speed of up to 3Gbps using LTE Cat.24. It also includes other connectivity features like WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, FM Radio, etc.
- Snapdragon 855 Plus integrates a Snapdragon X24 LTE modem and it can support external 5G modem also. The Snapdragon X24 LTE Modes enables it to capture a maximum downloading speed of 2Gbps using LTE Cat.20 and an uploading speed of up to 316Mbps using LTE Cat.13. It also integrates other connectivity features like Tri-band WiFi, VoWiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, Dual 4G VoLTE, USB 3.1, USB-C and Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology for fast charging.